Rating of today's MinneapolisHires.com's Minneapolis Job Fair

Today, for my job search, I attended the Minneapolis Job Fair. They advertised the event as having “Over 200 positions will be available.” Some of the booth vendors advertised by the Minneapolis Hires website included: The Entrepreneurs Source, Country Financial, Career Directors International, Primerica Financial Services, Minnesota Army National Guard, Champion Career Management, and Farmers Insurance Group.

As a job seeker, normally I don’t like going to job fairs without knowing exactly what companies would be attending the event and what positions they are seeking to fill. I like to target two to three specific companies. Talking to companies not looking for a position in the job seekers field, is a waste of time for the company’s representative and the job seeker.
 
Since, I’m not really looking to get into insurance and financial sales, I knew I wouldn’t be speaking with Country Financial, Primerica and the people from Farmers Insurance Group. Though I am thankful for those who serve in the military, the Minnesota Army National Guard wouldn’t fit my needs either. At the same time, it wasn’t a bad start of a list for the advertised 200 positions. Even if each of the other companies represented had several positions available, there would be a few to choose from within my field.

With business cards and a short stack of resumes in hand, I went into it without know who I was going to talk to. The event was held at the Holiday Inn & Suites Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport. In-person registration was easy, and all I had to do is provide a valid email address. As I entered the room, I scanned the booths. Except for the companies they had listed, there was also Amway, ACR At Home Healthcare, couple of temp agencies, a company selling jewelry and another selling an opportunity on selling energy juice. I was not impressed.
 
What is Amway, the multilevel marketing (MLM) company, doing at a job fair? People typically get into MLM companies not as a sole income source but to get good quality items at wholesale prices. I suppose if you get a few people in your down line it would be alright. To make a living with any MLM program one would have to make all his/her friends and relatives an employee. Isn’t that the same process you have to do if you were planning on selling insurance? Get all your friends and relatives to buy from you? I think MLM companies are targeting the unemployed hoping the MLM company can make money for itself.  Like unemployed people have money for such things. People can get a better deal buying products through double coupons from the local Rainbow on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Out of the bunch, ACR At Home Healthcare was the only quality employer in the group and they were looking for people that home health care skills, which I don't have.

This Minneapolis Hires job fair was designed for those who have no idea what career direction they are targeting. I have been to better job fairs. It seems that Minneapolis Hires has to learn some lessons about the promotion of their job fairs. Since I used my time at the event to network with other job seekers, I didn’t totally waste my time. Of course, I could have saved some gas and wear and tear on my car by just walking from my home to the local coffee house and networked with some people there.

My conclusion: MinneapolisHires.com over-promised and under-delivered this job fair.

What are your thoughts?

If you attended this particular job fair and got good leads or an interview, I’d like to hear about it. Please comment in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Be a friend, subscribe and follow my blog!