Computers seem to fail all around the same time!!! PART 1

For some reason the computer we have with Windows ME crashed and it lost its Product Key. Microsoft tech support told me that the support for Windows ME ended about a month ago.

Not cool. I have the computer from the factory with Windows ME on it. I think it's a bad deal that they don't come with any CD or Product Keys. I could do was mess around in the DOS prompt.

I have two computers and I usually back up one computer into a unused drive of the second computer through a network From that drive it is easy to copy those folders onto CD's.

I know what I can do. I can take the main hard drive out of the Windows ME computer and place it into the Window's XP computer along side the other two drives and do my back up of our important documents into that back up drive. It isn't a problem to do this since the Windows XP computer has inside the tower an extra Power cable and a Hard drive ribbon cable with an extra connector.

I seem to remember something about doing something to the jumpers on the back of the drive. The manufacturer website of the drive says that I should remove the jumper so the computer doesn't think that it is a master drive. See: http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/manuals/idehdsettings/Maxtor72.pdf

I installed the drive in the working computer and... It works!!

I can backup my files and feel free to restore the Windows ME drive without jeopardizing any important documents.

I'll make a list of all the folder as that I would need to back up and copied each one to the back up drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Be a friend, subscribe and follow my blog!