Google Voice, Make Free VoIP Calls

We all have heard of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). The main web based service we all hear about is Skype. I had been toying with Skype for a few months as an additional way to call people and not burn cell phone minutes. Skype offers free Skype-to-Skype, video calls, instant messaging and screen sharing.  Then, to call land line phones and mobiles, and do SMS messaging they have a pay per minute or pay for month programs.

Their prices are very reasonable and I can see taking advantage of using Skype for international calls. When I tried it out in late August, with a Skype-to-Skype call to my brother-in-law, and I thought the quality was pretty good through my internet provider (IP).

Being frugal, the only thing that I really didn't like was the cost to line phones and mobiles, and to SMS messaging. Not that it was overly expensive but, I already have other long distance cell phone service that is included from my cell phone provider.  

What was introduced to me earlier this week was a free service from Google Voice. Google Voice is available as an internet-based application, through your Gmail or iGoogle account, easy to set up and has a simple and clear interface. There are some other great features for Google Voice.

Make Free VoIP Calls from Google Voice


For a overview see the video below

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Be a friend, subscribe and follow my blog!